Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Welcome Back Stephen

High-ho silver, ride...

It was a hot summer day in 2010, and my friends and I are in the pit at Osheaga watching Pavement.

High-ho silver, ride...

We're dancing and singing along to "Stereo".

Take another ride to see me home...

Out of the corner of my eye I see an object flying over the crowd stage left in what seemed like slow motion.

Listen to me, I'm on the stereo...

It was a plastic cup full of beer thrown so perfectly and so accurately that not a drop of alcohol spilled in its flight.

Stereo...

SPLASH!

The beer cup pelts Stephen Malkmus right in the centre of his forehead, completely drenching him and his guitar. One interrupted chord later and everything stopped. I looked at my friend, mouth agape. He looked at me with the same expression, both of us thinking, "Oh fuck, it's over." The crowd stood there dumbfounded for what felt like forever, but the whole thing transpired in probably less than three seconds, then suddenly...

My baby, baby, baby, baby, baby gave me malaria, hysteria...

Malkmus sucked it up and continued to play the rest of the song, and the rest of the set, completely soaked in beer. That's rock 'n' roll.

Press play:


No comments:

Post a Comment